Sometimes waiting tables can be more stressful than waiting in the dental office knowing you've got to get a tooth canal. Really. As a waitress for going on something like seven years (on and off), I'd like to share some of the Things I've Learned While Working in a Pizza Joint.
1. It is not an easy job...it might look easy to you sitting there barking out orders to me but it's not. Let me say that I have a damn good memory and a table of 10 can walk in and sit down and I promise you I will not write one thing down and I will get your orders right ever time. So if I can remember all your drinks (with ice, without ice), what kind of salad dressing you want and your pizza toppings then I think you might be able to remember to tip me...and by tip I don't mean the left over change from your bill.
2. Shaking your empty glass of ice at me as I walk by will NOT get you a refill any faster. So keep shaking your glass and see what happens.
3. I do not make the food so getting all pissy with me that it's taking longer then you would like is not the answer I promise.
4. Walking in and just sitting down at a dirty table is not cool....actually it really pisses me off. Give me a minute to get over there and clean it...I promise I will not let someone steal your table from you.
5. If you are talking on your phone I will not come over and take your order....I just won't. Hang up the damn phone and place your order, once your order is placed call who ever you want. I just hope they don't mind hearing you chew in their ear.
6. If you need something, like the parm cheese, ask me I don't mind. What I do mind is you asking me for the cheese and once I bring it you now need the crushed red pepper, and then once I return from getting that you now need the garlic salt....really?
7. People are RUDE. Some people just are....but my question is why do you go out to eat and then expect us not be rude back to you?
8. If I ask you what you want to drink and you look over at you kids and ask them what they want to drink and it takes 20 mins. for them to decide....maybe you need to just decide for them because they may be damn cute and all but I don't have 20 mins. for them to make up their minds sorry.
9. And if you ask them what they want to drink and they say Pepsi (or whatever) why do you then tell them no you can drink water tonight? Why did you even ask them in the first place?
10. All restaurant's are cold, they just are, bring a jacket in with you and stop complaining to me about how cold it is...there is really nothing I can do about it...I swear.
Stay tuned for more: Things I've Learned While Working In A Pizza Joint